Thursday, September 12, 2013

What a week!

Yes, it has been just over a week since my last post! Too long, I know.
You see, this is Mexico. When something breaks, companies refuse to fix it.  I do not have internet at home.  It has been over two weeks.  It took Telmex two weeks just to come to take a look. When they did, they realized that a cable had been cut when someone was cutting down their trees.  Ok, so repair it, right? Ummm... wrong... It is a different company that repairs the cables and they 'do not work in the rain'. They must 'have two days with no rain'. This is the rainy season.  We work in the snow in Toronto.....

Anyhow, so this is why it has been so difficult for me to post. I literally do not have a free moment at school to do so. BUT it is indoor recess now so I am in my room.

Anyhow, Rosh Hashana was pretty cool!! The service was very short at the Chabad on erev and then we walked over to a large hall where we had our dinner.  There were approximately 350 people there, about 300 of which were young Israelis who had just finished the army.


  That was Erev Rosh Hashana

I went to work during the day on Rosh Hashana (Sorry) but went straight back to Chabad after work and stayed late into the night.  I spent about two hours walking around the streets of downtown Playa Del Carmen with the rabbi Jew hunting. It was really cool. He was like the pied piper of Playa. He would blow the shofar, and people would just come... like out of nowhere.... or, he would just look at someone, know they are Jewish and say Shana tova.  When they answered he would have them recite the prayers for the shofar and blow it.  We even walked into empty hotel lobbies.  He started to blow it and suddenly the hotel lobby was swarmed with young Israelis wanting to hear the shofar.  Pretty cool.

That night, I also took part in my first tashlich service.  We went to the sea, and threw away our sins. It was actually rather beautiful

This weekend is Yom Kippur. I am very curious as to how that will go.

This has been a long and exhausting week. But soon, it will be over.  Right now, I am sitting in a rather boring clinic about how to use a smartboard, but it is totally in Spanish.  I am pretending I don't understand.  But I actually speak and understand a lot more spanish than these people think I do.  But a three hour clinic, after school is over, might be a little much for me to bear. So, instead I get to just publish all of this for you all to see.

Is anyone planning on coming down for a visit soon? Let me know!
It really is very beautiful and there is much to do.  Even though it does rain every day right now, the sun comes out every day. I still make it to the beach at least two or three times a week!:)                                        

1 comment:

  1. Your Mum out did herself herself for the holiday. The table and its contents were spectacular, even more so than usual! The company was pretty good too! Glad you could virtually visit!

    ReplyDelete